The Shantarakshita library is the central library system of Central Institute of Higher Tibetan Studies, Sarnath Varanasi. It is a unique information resources centre for scholars of Tibetan and Buddhist studies which came into existence with the inception of the Institute in the year 1967.
This library is named after a great Indian Bhuddhist scholar Acharya Shantarakshita of the Nalanda University, who visited Tibet in the 8th century for the cause of dharma.
The library has special collection of Buddhist canonical works in Tibetan language translated from Sanskrit and other Indian languages. Contents of Buddhist manuscripts in Sanskrit and Tibetan languages are preserved in different form and formats such as printed, xylographs, digital and micro form etc in this library. The library has separate sections for such forms of collection. The library collection in the fields of Buddhism, Tibetan and Himalayan studies and allied subjects is point of attraction for scholars at home and abroad.
At present the library holds approximately 87000 printed books & xylographs 2000 bound volumes of journals, 7712 electronic documents and 9742 titles of microfiches and films.
The library is well equipped with latest ICT infrastructure, providing library services based on the multilingual bibliographical database of the library collections.
Library is a member of the UGC-INFONET program and has the full text access to the online journals of Springer and databases of ISID and JCCC via IP authenticated online access. In addition to print and online documents, library possesses a rich collection of Microfiches, Microfilms and Audio Video documents and xylogaphys of the concerned subjects.
The collections of the Shantarakshita library are developing in accordance with the objectives of CIHTS, which is declared as "University of national importance" by the Government of India.
Policy level decisions and documents for the development and smooth functioning of library are being approved by the Library committee which is the apex decision making body of the library. The composition of the Library Committee is as follows:
- The Vice Chancellor of the Institute -- Chairman
- Prof. P. P. Gokhale -- Member (CIHTS)
- Prof. K. N. Mishra -- Member (CIHTS)
- Prof. S. S. Bahulkar -- Member (Pune)
- Prof. Lobsang Tenzin -- Member (CIHTS)
- Dr. Jampa Samten -- Member (CIHTS)
- Dr. Advaitavadini Kaul, Editor Kala Kosa Publication IGNCA -- Member (New Delhi)
- Dr. R. C. Negi -- Member (CIHTS)
- Dr. Penpa Dorjee -- Member (CIHTS)
- Shri. Sonam Topgyal, Librarian LTWA, -- Member (Dharamsala)
- Dr. G. C. Kandadamath, Deputy Librarian BHU-- Member (BHU)
- Librarian/Library I/c -- Covener (Shantarakshita Library)
- Sudhriti Biswas
Sections of Shantarakshita Library
- Acquisition and Technical Section
- Tibetan Section
- Multimedia Section
- Periodical, Reference and INFLIBNET Section
- Stack Section
- Circulation Section
- Computer Section
- Store and Maintenance Section